(Image credit: Adobe Stock.)
Motorists Insurance Group (Columbus, Ohio) has deployed Guidewire Software’s (Foster City, Calif.) InsurancePlatform products to serve as the technology backbone for its new commercial lines company, Motorists Insurance, which was launched on May 1, 2017, a Guidewire statement says.
“With the launch of Motorists Insurance, we are now able to offer one technology platform and a consistent set of processes and procedures to serve our independent agents and associates,” comments Todd Lawrence, VP, Business Transformation, Motorists. “Internal and external stakeholder feedback has been positive, especially regarding our independent agents’ experiences with the new portals. Overall, we are very pleased with the new platform.”
Guidewire reports that Motorists has implemented Guidewire InsuranceSuite, Client Data Management, Rating Management, Standards Based Templates, Quote and Buy Portal for Policyholders, Account Management Portal for Policyholders, and Gateway Portal for Agents as part of an organization-wide initiative to support the company’s vision and transform the way it does business.
Motorists’ objective was to modernize its technology infrastructure and operations to better address the evolving needs of its agents and policyholders, according to the Guidewire statement. In the first pilot of its implementation project, Motorists deployed the products across all of its commercial lines of business to agents in Michigan and Tennessee, with more pilot states to follow in the third quarter and a comprehensive state rollout throughout 2018. Eventually, InsuranceSuite and the Guidewire Digital products will be deployed across all of Motorists’ commercial lines of business in all of the states where the company does business.
Greenfield Approach, Brand New Commercial Lines Company
“Thanks to the ‘one company, one solution, one experience’ vision and leadership of our CEO David Kaufman, we adopted the mindset of an 85-year-old startup and took a greenfield approach, allowing us the unique opportunity to reinvent our business, IT and organizational structure,” comments John Kessler, senior VP and chief strategy officer, Motorists. “In essence, it mitigated the need to integrate with disparate and antiquated systems and business processes being used by our various affiliates, and enabled us to create a brand new commercial lines company. We were able to collaborate effectively with Guidewire to facilitate a smooth implementation and complete the project on time and on budget.”
Among the capabilities afforded to Motorists through the InsurancePlatform deployment are the following, as described by Guidewire:
- Enhance operational efficiency, flexibility, upgradeability, and productivity throughout the organization by standardizing underwriting, policy administration, billing and claims management on a cohesive technology platform;
- Develop and execute best practices to deliver high levels of service to its independent agents and customers by empowering them with digital self-service claim, policy servicing and quoting capabilities;
- Make it easier for independent agents to acquire and service business more quickly and accurately;
- Reduce the time it takes to quote, change and bind a policy submitted by independent agents from 25-45 days to seconds;
- Offer straight-through processing for online sales, service and billing;
- Leverage ISO to provide coverages/restrictions that are current with what the marketplace expects; and
- Increase business agility and achieve lower total cost of ownership by being more nimble in reacting to changing business demands for new product sales and service models.
“We congratulate Motorists Insurance Group on its successful launch of Motorists Insurance to serve its commercial lines of business,” comments Alex Naddaff, chief customer officer, Guidewire Software. “We applaud Motorists’ vision of ensuring the trust of its agents and policyholders and are humbled that our core and digital products are serving as the foundation for its transformation journey.”